Sunday, January 31, 2010

My 365~ Day 1

OK, so before we get to the technical review of my photo, here is the history on the subject. I was born in Carluke Ontario, a rural farming area where my Grandfather owned and ran the General Store, the school house was one room and my parents built the house whilst waiting for me to arrive. My paternal grandfather was a very engaging man, and I have very clear memories of him even though I was only 8 years old when he left this world. Today when I arrived at the cemetery in Carluke and walked out to the grave site, I was struck by the big smile on my face thinking about him, all the happy memories that reside in my head. So this is where my 365 will begin where I began, visiting the grave site of the only Grandfather I knew.

Now for the technical bit, please be kind, if I learn anything from this project it will be what I don't know about photography, it is exciting to start something from the very basic foundation and believe me I do mean basic. I took this photo with an 18-105 mm lens and used my tripod for the first time. It was cold with flurries and the wind was howling but here it is and I think this was the perfect place to start. So tell me what you think, help me to improve and I will enjoy the memories that come along for the ride.

Bean

3 comments:

Mirkham said...

Nice one mom! Interesting subject matter and well framed.

Anne-Marie said...

What a great project, I am a bit jealous that I didn't think about doing that! But seriously It's a great shot to start with. Good subject but I wish the North headstone was a bit more in focus remember to use one focusing point and the re-framing technique learned in class. One more thing using a big aperture (in your A mode) would blur the background and put more emphasis on your main subject.
Good job Bean!

little E said...

This was a cold day. COOOLLLD. Cool picture though. It is nice to see my roots. I agree that the focus should be more of the headstone, but considering it was blizzarding and -40 with no mittens, good job.

Powered by Blogger.

Soon to be Wed

Soon to be Wed
Dancing in Cantley

Emily at 2

Emily at 2
all grown up !!

meet bigger

meet bigger
this is all bigger does hence the name

the littlest vegan

the littlest vegan
"coming attractions"